What are the nutrients contained in dark chocolate?Dark chocolate has a variety of nutrients that are beneficial for health. By consuming around 100 grams of dark chocolate, you can get the following nutrients:
- Around 3 to 4.5 grams of fiber
- 60 - 100 grams of carbohydrates
- 4.8 - 5 grams of protein
- 50 - 60 mg of calcium
- 8 mg of iron
- 140 - 150 mg of magnesium
- 200 mg of phosphorus
- 500 - 550 mg of potassium
What are the Benefits of Dark Chocolate?According to some studies, the safe limit for consuming dark chocolate is around 40 grams per day. This is because dark chocolate contains high calories and caffeine and fat. In a serving of dark chocolate, contained about 230-250 calories. If consumed as a healthy snack in the right dose, dark chocolate can bring various benefits as follows:
1. Protect the body from exposure to free radicalsA number of medical studies state that the cacao plant is a plant that contains a lot of antioxidants. Antioxidants themselves function to fight free radicals that can damage body cells and cause various health problems, one of which is cancer. By consuming foods that are rich in antioxidants, such as dark chocolate, the body's health can be maintained.
2. Relieve stressThere are many things that can make you stressful, ranging from work pressure, family problems, to relationships with your partner. If so, try to calm down or relax while snacking on dark chocolate. A study has shown that consuming dark chocolate can relieve stress, help calm anxiety, and improve mood. If you consume it regularly every day for 2 weeks, then dark chocolate can reduce the production of stress hormones, so that stress can be overcome.
3. Maintain health and brain functionThe nutritional and antioxidant content contained in dark chocolate has a big role in blood flow to the brain and maintaining brain function. Various studies also show that regular consumption of dark chocolate can help maintain cognitive function and memory, so the risk of dementia or dementia can be reduced. In addition, the benefits of dark chocolate also can reduce the risk of stroke. Stroke is one of the diseases that most cause death and disability in Indonesia. Based on research, people who regularly consume dark chocolate every day have a lower risk of stroke than people who rarely or never consume chocolate at all.
4. Maintain blood pressure and reduce the risk of heart diseaseBesides stroke, the most common cause of death in Indonesia is heart disease. Some factors that can increase your risk for heart disease are having high blood pressure and excess cholesterol. To prevent this, consumption of dark chocolate can be an option. The high antioxidant and potassium content in dark chocolate looks useful to help maintain normal blood pressure. The nutritional and antioxidant content in dark chocolate is also known to increase good cholesterol (HDL) and prevent blockages in blood vessels (atherosclerosis) which cause heart disease and stroke.
5. Maintaining skin health and beautyThe antioxidant content of flavonoids in dark chocolate is also beneficial to protect the skin from sun exposure which can cause skin wrinkles and premature skin aging. Dark chocolate also contains various nutrients that play a role in collagen production. This protein has an important role in maintaining skin elasticity and moisture, thus making the skin look more attractive.
6. Good for keeping blood sugar stableSeveral studies have shown that the antioxidant and nutritional content of dark chocolate looks to keep blood sugar stable and improve the performance of the hormone insulin. This effect is good for controlling diabetes. But remember, what is consumed is dark chocolate. It's not chocolate that is rich in sugar and milk because it has a sweet taste (too much sugar), so it can make blood sugar rise.
Tips on Buying Dark ChocolateTo get quality dark chocolate with a taste that is certainly delicious, there are a few tips you can follow when buying it, namely:
- Avoid buying dark chocolate with added trans fat, milk, sugar and artificial flavorings.
- Choose dark chocolate products made from 70% cocoa.
- Choose dark chocolate that is not through the process of alkalization, namely the addition of alkaline materials in the processing of cocoa powder.
- Choose dark chocolate products that are labeled organic.
- To enrich nutrition, choose dark chocolate with nuts, like almonds and cashews.